Friday, July 31, 2015

Keep a Journal for Your Children

My dad kept a daily journal for many years (at least 20, up until 2014 and possibly before that, though those older than that appear to have been lost) and the treasures inside all those volumes (various notebooks of various sizes) have meant so much to me in the weeks and months after his passing. He was of course writing them for himself, but he left all his papers to me, and having them is like having him here with me whenever I open one up and read. I can't think of how much harder I would have taken his death if he had not taken the time each day to write down the events of his life as they transpired. Having those notebooks that he himself held and faithfully wrote in is the nearest thing I have to having him back with me. Thank you, Dad. I love you.

1 comment: